The value of relationships

Last Updated 24 June, 2015

WHY do people attend college? To learn a skill, to prepare for a vocation, to increase their lifetime earning potential? These are all good aims, but the educational mission at Northwest Nazarene University addresses life goals so much broader than what one eventually does for a living. NNU is in the business of transforming lives, so fostering an environment to build healthy, authentic relationships is the primary tool in her toolbox.

Quality relationships form the foundation for success in life both professionally and personally. Most importantly, they imitate the most significant relationship possible to develop—a relationship with Jesus Christ.

As the 2014 graduating class reflected on their NNU experience, most cited relationships built in a Christ-centered community as the most valuable aspect of their education. Whether impacted by significant faculty mentorship, strengthened by sustaining friendships or reconnected to Christ and the church through authentic discipleship, NNU students from the undergraduate to doctoral level share a conviction that the often intangible concept of Christian community yields the most tangible change in lives.

“The ways the professors invested in me and the authentic relationships I formed with other students have really shaped the man I have become.” Joshua Godfrey (Wash.), B.A. in philosophy and religion

“The small-school atmosphere has allowed me to develop relationships with people I hope to maintain the rest of my life. Each one has helped me view the world in a slightly different light.” Taylor Raney (Idaho), Ed.D. in educational leadership

“As a student, both undergraduate and graduate, I valued and cherished the lifelong friendships developed, the investment of professors towards my personal and professional development and the invaluable education I gained.” Allison Gilmore (Ore.), B.A. in public communication (’09), MBA

“There could never be enough said about the community at NNU. From the goofy, random things that happen like late-night coffee runs and weird conversations that crop up during an all-nighter to the serious and life-changing relationships that are developed, this community is amazing and rare.” Megan Krebs (Idaho), B.A. in Christian ministry and pastoral ministries

“The greatest blessings in my life come in the form of relationships, which is the main reason I work at NNU. NNU continues to teach me that relationships are valuable and rich.” Andy Curry (Idaho), MBA, resident director of Sutherland Hall

“The community aspect of NNU is one that I never thought I could find in a university. The relationships I have made, with both students and professors, are beautiful, and I wouldn’t dream of trading them for anything. I have had support emotionally, academically and spiritually throughout my four years and have learned lessons that I will take with me for the rest of my life.” Darcy Curtin (Wash.), B.S. in accounting

“I was drawn to NNU because of its small size and community feel. Now, as a senior, I see how those characteristics have provided me with rich opportunities. At NNU, I have had the opportunity to engage actively in a community that is Christ-centered. My professors have challenged me to think critically and ask questions about matters I once considered set in stone. Though this perspective makes life more complicated, it has helped me be more understanding and respectful of others. It has also increased my dependence on Christ and reminded me of my constant need for Him.” Melinda Welch (Idaho), B.A. in English

“NNU not only told me what I should do to be a better person, Christian and professional, but also took me by the hand and showed me by example how to do it.” Paulo Salvador (Brazil), B.S. in engineering