NNU welcomes freshman Maggie Alcaraz

Last Updated 19 October, 2015

NNU takes time to invest in the freshman class since these students will help shape the NNU community. Each one of the new students who joins campus in the fall brings something special and becomes an integral part of the character and traditions of NNU. 

When Margarita Alcaraz, Maggie, joined NNU community as a first-time freshman, she started a new tradition by becoming the first in her family to attend college. “They are really proud of all the hard work I have done and how far I have gotten; it’s both exciting and scary for them,” she says of her family.

As with many first generation college students, finances were a big challenge, but Maggie worked hard and received a number of awards and scholarships to help make college a reality. Some of these honors include the Governor’s Cup, Daughters of the American Revolution Award, NNU Music Scholarship and Riley Academic Scholarship. 

"Whenever I am on campus, the people make me feel like I’m part of a family, and it is such an amazing feeling."

She was also eager to become part of a faith-based campus and felt connected to the NNU community before she even began attending. “Faith is a big part of my life and I love that I can go to a community where we can all come together with Christ. Whenever I am on campus, the people make me feel like I’m part of a family, and it is such an amazing feeling.”

Maggie was born in California but graduated from Caldwell High School in Caldwell, Idaho. When Maggie is not playing guitar, immersing herself in a good book or shopping, she loves to sing. Beginning when she was eight years old, Maggie discovered the passion she has for singing and it has only grown since then. Singing in the Canyon County Honor Choir the four years of high school and the All-State Honor Choir her sophomore and senior years, she has had many opportunities to perform in a variety of settings and has continued to pursue singing at NNU. One of Maggie’s dreams is to travel the world so she can see and experience the beauty that every country holds.

In addition to her extracurricular interest in music, Maggie is pursuing a major in social work and a minor in Spanish. Her desire to be a social worker stems back to when her younger sister was diagnosed with leukemia at nine years old. During the financial and emotional difficulty the disease forced on the family, it was a social worker who helped them through that challenging time. “I’ve always loved helping people but that was the time when I realized I wanted to give back for everything that was given to us. I want to make sure that people know they are not alone and they don’t have to endure the pain by themselves,” Maggie shares.

Maggie is just one of the stellar students who make up the personality of the freshman class this year. She and her classmates have already experienced many of the beginning-of-the-year activities and fall events that make the NNU freshman experience unique. We look forward to how they will contribute to the NNU story this year and into the future.