J-1: Travel

In order to travel outside of the U.S. you need to carry following documents:

  • DS-2019 Form (signed by RO/ARO)
  • Passport (valid at least 6 months into the future)
  • J-1 Visa (visa in most cases should not be expired)
  • I-94 Card

In addition to the above documentation it can be helpful to bring evidence of your financial support, such as a bank statement or scholarship letter and proof of your continued enrollment (unofficial transcript) at NNU when traveling.

Obtaining a Travel Signature It is essential that you obtain a travel signature on your DS-2019 form from the RO or ARO before attempting to travel outside the US! You may drop off your DS-2019 at the Registrar's Office front desk and the Registrar (RO) will sign the document for travel within a week.

Canadian Students Canadian students do not require a visa to enter the U.S. However, they are still considered international students and must have a valid DS-2019 when re-entering the US. Canadian students must make sure to receive an I-94 card at the U.S. port-of entry marked “J-1”.

Dependents or Visiting Relatives A DS-2019 may be issued for your legal spouse or minor children to apply for a J-2 visa to travel to the United States. You must first provide financial documentation that shows their full support during their stay.

If a J-1 student will be away from NNU for more than 30 days it is advised that any J-2 family members depart with the J-1 student.

Airport and transportation information Flights should be arranged to Boise International Airport (BOI). Taxi service is available outside of the airport arrival area. The cost is approximately $75 to NNU. Public transportation around NNU is severely limited, we suggest you use some sort of taxi service.