As a full-time J-1 student you may work on campus if working will not interfere with your enrollment or delay progress on a degree program. If you are a new student, you are eligible to work on campus after checking in with the Registrar up to 30 days before the start of the semester. If you are a transfer student you may be eligible to work as soon as you receive your DS-2019 for study at NNU. Prior to working, you must obtain a letter of authorization from the Registrar and provide it to the NNU Payroll Office. You must also have a Social Security number.

Federal regulations limit your employment to 20 hours per week while classes are in session. During your vacation term you may work full-time even if you choose to take one or two classes. However, you may not work full-time and attend classes full-time during the same semester.

IMPORTANT The Department of Homeland Security does not necessarily distinguish between paid employment and volunteer work. Always obtain authorization prior to working regardless of whether you will be paid.

You must receive written permission from the Registrar BEFORE beginning any on- or off-campus employment. Any employment authorization will be included on your DS-2019 document and in the SEVIS system, per US regulation.