F-1: Transfer Process

SEVIS Transfer to NNU For your SEVIS record to be transferred to NNU from another school you must meet the following requirements:

  • Admission to NNU
  • Valid F-1 Status (demonstrated on the Transfer Information/ Clearance Form)
  • Full-time course load maintained at your previous school

Contact an International Student Advisor at your previous school to complete the procedures for transferring your SEVIS record to NNU. As soon as you have received confirmation of your admission to NNU, contact Rich Vasquez in Admissions for information about obtaining your new I-20.

Orientation and Immigration Check-in A mandatory orientation session is required for all new NNU students. This includes transfer students. You will receive email information about the orientation.

You are also required to check-in with the Registrar within 15 days of the start of the semester. Failure to complete your immigration check-in will place you in violation of your student status.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: My new I-20 from NNU doesn’t have an immigration stamp. Is that okay? A: Yes. New I-20s are issued for a variety of reasons and are only stamped upon entry or re-entry into the US.

Q: I am transferring to NNU from another school. When can I start working? A: After your SEVIS record has been transferred to NNU, as long as you have completed at least one academic term at your previous school. You may only work on the campus which currently maintains your I-20. You are eligible for off-campus employment after one full academic year in the US, including all schools you’ve attended. See Employment for more information.

Q: Do I need to keep my old I-20(s) or can I just throw them away? A: Never throw away your old I-20s. They provide a record of your immigration history.

Q: I recently transferred to NNU and received a new I-20. Now I’m getting email saying that I need to pick up another I-20. Why do I need another one? A: During the transfer process two I-20s are issued – one shows your intent to transfer and one shows that you have, in fact, transferred.

SEVIS Transfer from NNU To transfer your SEVIS record from NNU to your new school, you must follow these steps:

  • Submit the NNU Transfer Request Form
  • Supply a copy of your admission letter to your new school
  • Supply proof that your government or embassy approves your transfer, if you receive support from them.

In your new school’s admission documents there may be a Transfer Clearance Form that verifies your F-1 status. NNU will complete this form for you, but will not transfer your SEVIS record until all of the above steps have been completed.

Frequently Asked Questions Q: When can my SEVIS record be transferred to a new school? A: Your record can be transferred at any time, but you must maintain full time enrollment at NNU until your SEVIS record has been transferred.

Q: I plan to travel outside the US before classes start at my new school. Which I-20 do I need to come back into the US? A: You will need the I-20 from your new school. Once your SEVIS record is transferred your I-20 from NNU is no longer valid.

Q: I have a job on campus. Can I work after my SEVIS record has been transferred? What about OPT or CPT? A: No. All work authorization at NNU ends when your SEVIS record is transferred, including on-campus, OPT, CPT, and Economic Hardship.

Q: I finished my program at NNU and I’m in my 60-day grace period. I want to transfer to another school but their classes start after my grace period ends. Can I still transfer? A: Usually, yes. However, it is important for you to contact the Registrar for more information related to your situation.

Q: I’ve completed my transfer to my new school. Can I throw away my old I-20 from NNU? A: No. Never throw away your old I-20s. They provide a record of your immigration history, which you may need for filing for new immigration statuses in the future.