International students are eligible to work on-campus 30 days before beginning classes, and may work off-campus after two semesters of full-time study using Curricular Practical Training (CPT) if available, Optional Practical Training (OPT), or Pre-completion Optional Practical Training.

Students may also be approved for off-campus employment through Economic Hardship, provided they meet the eligibility requirements.

Economic Hardship

You may be eligible for Economic Hardship Work Authorization if you have experienced a severe and unforeseen change in your economic situation. Examples of such unforeseen circumstances include loss of on-campus employment, medical bills, and substantial shift in the value of your home country’s currency. If granted, you will be allowed to work off campus in any job for 20 hours per week while school is in session and 40 hours during vacation breaks. Authorization is given one year at a time and may be renewed.

To qualify you must meet all eligibility requirements, be in good academic standing, and have been a full-time F-1 student for nine consecutive months. Authorization is required from Citizenship and Immigration Services. The application requires a significant fee and approval is not guaranteed. To apply, complete the Economic Hardship application.